jueves, 9 de julio de 2015

DEBORAH LANDAU [16.517]


DEBORAH LANDAU

Es una poeta americana, ensayista y crítico.

Bibliografía: 

Orchidelirium, Anhinga Press , 2003 (winner of the Anhinga Prize for Poetry).
The Last Usable Hour, Copper Canyon Press, 2011.
The Uses of the Body, Copper Canyon Press , 2015.




LOS USOS DEL CUERPO

Antes de tener hijos
tienes un perro.

Entonces, cuando nace el bebé,
esperas que el perro se muera.

Cuando el perro muere,
representa un alivio.

Cuando tus bebés dejan de ser bebés,
quieres un nuevo perro.

Ves dónde acaban
las utilidades del cuerpo.

Pero nosotros sólo estamos en el medio,
Solamente en mitad del camino.

Los órganos más viejos creciendo en los bolsillos afelpados
rozándose hasta el desgaste.

Estamos aquí y pronto no estaremos
(a pesar de la confortable cama con perros de peluche almohadas, libros y un reloj.)

El chaval con sus calcetines y sus pijamas.
Una serie de colisiones accidentales.

Presión en el pecho. Todo el mundo
respira por ahora, dentro y fuera, toda la noche.

Tienen que ser cosas tristes.
Entro en la cocina pensando en dulcificarme.

Los huevos duros no van a hacer nada.
Ostras. Desinfectante. Mantequilla de cacahuete. Ginebra.

Gran cara de niño, sin esperanza.
Tengo veinte, treinta, cuarenta años.

Un amigo dijo Escucha,
tienes que intentar calmarte.





SOLITARIA

Ese verano no quedaba en mí nada de la niña que fui.
Se hizo evidente poco a poco.
De repente ocurrió.

En la piscina, yo pesaba más que la luz.
Picada de viruela y escuálida con un sombrero de ala ancha.
¿Qué será de mi cuerpo

cuando esté tirado toda la noche en el suelo?
Pleno verano. Inspiración. Expiración.
No soy una bombona de oxígeno.

Dos veces a la semana tenemos sexo.
Veo a las ágiles chicas junto a la piscina

casadas con hijos, con anchas

caderas de mujeres maduras.

No puedo ver más allá del punto en el que estoy.
Como tú, sólo estoy de paso.

Quiero mantenerme durante un tiempo.
No quiero nada
ni renunciar a nada, no quiero

estar entre algodones o exhibirme en carne viva.
Si yo retinol. Si yo maratón.
Si yo vitamina C. Si yo carmesí

mis labios y mi pelo moteado.
Si yo cera. Exfoliar. Copular
al lado del pescado contaminado.

Cúbreme, tengo frío. Cúbreme, estoy en mitad del camino.
¿Me aplastarías en el hueco de la escalera?
¿Podríamos acostarnos?

Si los frenos no funcionan.
Si los pesticidas no desinfectan.
Si el séptimo piso expulsa un ladrillo

por la ventana y cae en mi cabeza.
Si un estremecimiento, la menopausia. Cáncer. ALS.
Estos son el ABC de mis miedos.

El médico dice
No tengo una pastilla para eso, querida.
Ojalá, sería una panacea, señoras,
¿gin-tonics en una noche de verano?
¡Te crees inmortal! Desconcertada.

Sucesión de días que no podemos atrapar.

Versión de Carlos Alcorta
https://carlosalcorta.wordpress.com/2015/06/




Solitaire

That summer there was no girl left in me.
It gradually became clear.
It suddenly became.

In the pool, I was more heavy than light.
Pockmarked and flabby in a floppy hat.
What will my body be

when parked all night in the earth?
Midsummer. Breathe in. Breathe out.
I am not on the oxygen tank.

Twice a week we have sex.
The lithe girls poolside I see them
at their weddings I see them with babies their hips

thickening I see them middle-aged.
I can’t see past the point where I am.
Like you, I’m just passing through.

I want to hold on awhile.
Don’t want to naught
or forsake, don’t want

to be laid gently or racked raw.
If I retinol. If I marathon.
If I Vitamin C. If I crimson

my lips and streakish my hair.
If I wax. Exfoliate. Copulate
beside the fish-slicked sea.

Fill me I’m cold. Fill me I’m halfway gone.
Would you crush me in the stairwell?
Could we just lie down?

If the brakes don’t work.
If the pesticides won’t wash off.
If the seventh floor pushes a brick

out the window and it lands on my head.
If a tremor, menopause. Cancer. ALS.
These are the ABCs of my fear.

The doctor says
I don’t have a pill for that, dear.
Well, what would be a cure-all, ladies,

gin-and-tonics on a summer night?
See you in the immortalities! O blurred.
O tumble-rush of days we cannot catch.






I Don’t Have a Pill for That

It scares me to watch
a woman hobble along
the sidewalk, hunched adagio

leaning on —
there’s so much fear
I could draw you a diagram

of the great reduction
all of us will soon
be way-back-when.

The wedding is over.
Summer is over.
Life please explain.

This book is nearly halfway read.
I don’t have a pill for that,
the doctor said.





Domestic

At night, down the hall into the bedroom we go.
In the morning we enter the kitchen.
Places, please. On like this,

without alarm. I am the talker and taker
he is the giver and the bedroom man.
We are out of order but not broken.

He says, let’s make this one short.
She says, what do you mean?
We set out and got nearer.

Along the way some loved ones died.
Whole summers ruined that way.
Take me to the door, take me in your arms.

Mother’s been dead a decade
but her voice comes back to me now and often.
Life accumulates, a series of commas,

first this, then that, then him, then here.
A clump of matter (paragraph)
and here we are: minutes, years.

Wait, I am trying to establish
something with these people.
Him, her, him. We make a little pantomime.

Family, I say, wake up. The sentences
one then another one, in a line. And then
we go on like that, for a long time.






from Blue Dark

 the moon might rise and it might not
and if it brings a ghost light we will read beneath it

and if it returns to earth
we will listen for its phrases

and if I’m alone at the bedside table
I will have a ghost book to refer to

and when I lie back I’ll see its imprint 
beneath my blood-red lids:

not lettered ink 
but the clean page

not sugar 
but the empty bowl

not flowers 
but the dirt 



*


blame the egg blame the fractured stones 
at the bottom of the mind

blame his darkblue glare and craggy mug
the bulky king of trudge and stein

how I love a masculine in my parlor
his grizzly shout and weight one hundred drums

in this everywhere of blunt and soft sinking
I am the heavy hollow snared

the days are spring the days are summer
the days are nothing and not dead yet


*


worry the river over its banks
the train into flames

worry the black rain into the city
the troops into times square

worry the windows cracked acidblack
and the children feverblistered

worry never another summer
never again to live here gentle
with the other inhabitants

then leave too quickly 
leave the pills and band-aids
the bathroom scale the Christmas lights the dog

go walking on our legs
dense and bare and useless

worry our throats and lungs
into taking the air

leave books on the shelves
leave keys dustpan 

telephones don’t work where you were
in the chaos


*


and I couldn’t bear it
the children nearing the place
where the waves wet the shore

vaporous force
rising imperceptibly behind

we were talking about circumstance
horizon-gates swinging open
beneath the cherry blooms

wave rising in the background
impalpable and final
a girl in a white dress       barefoot

wasn’t I right to ask her to move in from the shore


*


this is the last usable hour

bird lured
through the window

a little sweet fruit

I could die here
and the hearsedriver
would take me out of this city

I’d say my name to him 
as we crossed the Triboro

I’d say it softly         the way he likes it

it would be the last time
I’d introduce myself that way




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario